The Bachelor of Arts (BA) is a three year program of Tribhuvan University. The course was designed with the purpose of giving theoretical and conceptual based knowledge to the students. The Faculty of humanities and Social Science (FOHSS) under the TU is the authentic authority to conduct the administrative business of Bachelor of Arts. The motto of FOHSS is to build up qualified and dedicated human resources in the field of humanities and social science. This faculty is the leading faculty in terms of number of subjects offered and the number of department it has. This faculty consists of more than 30 constituent campus and more than 300 affiliated colleges where millions of students are gaining education and having their careers. Wide ranges of course are taught in Bachelors in Arts. Some of the subjects taught in BA are: Major English, Nepali, Mathematics, Sociology, Anthropology, History, Culture, Political Science, Economics, Journalism, International Study, crisis management, social work, etc.
The main objectives of the Bachelor of Arts are:
- The course intends to provide students broad, comprehensive and multi dimensional knowledge and educational foundation in the field of humanities and social science.
- The course intends to provide extensive knowledge and skill development in the field of humanities and social science that becomes extremely helpful for students to make them successful in getting jobs.
- The course intends to hone the analytical skills and wisdom of students so that they can be passionate activist in liberating peoples and communities from all kind of bondage that hinders overall human development and freedom.
- The course intends to prepare students in such a way that they can handle the role of teacher and researcher and also manage social responsibilities in private and public sector.
- He/ She should have passed intermediate level (I.A) or +2 or equivalent degree from TU or board/ institution/ university recognized by TU from any stream.
- Previously there was provision that students willing to read Major English/ Major Mathematics/ Major Economics and some other subjects must compulsory pass the same subject in proficiency level(+2) level within given 3 years to get the bachelor certificate. However, TU has removed this provision.
- Students are free to choose any subjects in BA irrespective of their plus two background.
Scope and Career Prospects
Bachelor of Arts is the field that is linked with society and human existence. The scope of this field and need of the graduates of this field never decreases. It is evergreen faculty. BA graduates can find jobs in education sector, research institutes, colleges, universities, schools, etc. They can also find jobs in NGO/ INGOs, civil service, private organization, cultural organizations, etc. They can choose to work as free lancer, social activist, writer, editor, supervisor, consultant, director, journalist etc. Not only this, political leader, social leader, religious leader etc are mainly the product of humanities and social. There are numerous work opportunities in various positions for the BA graduates. Graduates also have good opportunities to pursue their further careers in the developed countries because the graduates have highly appreciated in the foreign countries.